Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Garden Art

Recently my husband and I visited his mother who lives in Alabama.  She is 83 years old and still works in her yard.  I love garden art and she has so many pieces tastefully displayed.  I even got some great ideas to incorporate in my backyard.  

This is the gate that enters into the backyard.
This is the little garden that you walk past as you approach the gate.  Do you see the bird houses? 
This is the "bottle tree on the other side of the gate.  The bottles are really pretty when the sun shines on them. 
Look very closely.  Do you see the sign hiding in the background?
Here it is!  Don't you just love this vintage sign!  This is an old advertising sign of the radio station, WJMW,  in Athens, Alabama that my husband's grandfather and father started in 1948. It was the first radio station in Limestone, County.  For a little history lesson on the station click here and here.
You can listen to live streaming:  WVNN


This is perfect as a piece of artwork.  I see signs like this all the time in antique stores.  
Look what she did with this hollowed out stump.  Just add a fern.
She has created a bird sanctuary and it is so relaxing to sit on her porch and listen to the birds.
Lots of perennials.
It is so soothing to hear the water flowing in this fountain.
The radio sign is my favorite thing in the garden but this bird feeder is my second favorite thing.  The design is so unique.  

 I hope you enjoyed the tour of her garden/sanctuary.  I know she has probably added something new so I'll find out this weekend. 

1 comment: